Harry and Meghan make first joint public appearance in London since royal split

The royal engagement is the start of the couple's so-called 'farewell tour'. Source: Getty.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have stepped out in London for their first joint royal engagement since announcing they are stepping back as senior members of the royal family.

The couple was all smiles as they attended the Endeavour Fund Awards for sick and injured servicemen and women at London’s Mansion House on Thursday evening. The royal engagement is the start of the couple’s so-called ‘farewell tour’ before they begin their new lives as private citizens from April 1.

For her return, Meghan turned heads in an electric blue fitted Victoria Beckham dress and navy stilettos by Spanish fashion designer Manolo Blahnik. Her hair was slicked back in a low ponytail and she carried a Stella McCartney clutch. Prince Harry looked handsome in a classic navy suit

Meghan Harry
The Sussexes was all smiles as they attended the Endeavour Fund Awards in London on Thursday evening. Source: Getty.

The couple attended a pre-ceremony reception where they met the nominees before arriving at the awards ceremony, where they each presented an award.

“It’s very nice to be back,” Meghan said. “It’s the third year that I’ve had the incredible fortune of joining my husband here — as you all know and can feel, it is just the most inspiring space. I will say, when I was watching the videos all the way in Canada, we each had the same moment where we said, ‘How are we going to choose?’”

Harry and Meghan’s last official public appearance in the UK will be on Monday when they join the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at Westminister Abbey for the traditional Commonwealth Day service.

Earlier this week it was reported that Meghan had upset the Queen with her decision not to bring 10-month-old baby Archie along with her, instead leaving the royal tot in Canada under the care of the Sussexes nanny and Meghan’s close friend, Jessica Mulroney.

According to the Sunday Times, Queen Elizabeth II — who has not been able to spend much time with her youngest great-grandchild and was last photographed with him last May when the couple debuted their newborn son to the world — was saddened by the decision.

The news outlet reported that the Queen and the extended royal family is said to be “very sad” that Archie is staying behind in Canada while Harry and Meghan wrap up things in the UK.

Join the community that will get you through the hard times ahead.

Starts at 60 is the community you need when Covid-19 is changing life as we know it. We stick together, help each other, share information and have a whole lot of fun online.

Join for interactive online events, expert advice, timely news, great deals and community conversation.

Are you a fan of Harry and Meghan?

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up