Tanya Plibersek has announced she will not contest the Labor leadership, paving the way for Anthony Albanese, who has already declared himself a contender.
In a statement released on Monday afternoon Plibersek said she pulled out of the race, citing family reasons.
“I am very grateful for the support I have received from my colleagues, from party members and others, urging me to run for the Labor leadership,” she said in a statement.
“But now is not my time. At this point, I cannot reconcile the important responsibilities I have to my family with the additional responsibilities of the Labor leadership.
“I know some people will be disappointed with this decision. I intend to continue as deputy leader until the leadership is determined.”
It comes after Albanese told reporters in Sydney on Sunday: “I believe I am the best person to lead Labor.”
He added: “We need to make sure we articulate not just how we share wealth but how we create wealth.”
Meanwhile, according to Sky News, Shadow Treasurer Chris Bowen has also indicated he’ll be running for the position of leader.
Elsewhere, Queensland MP Jim Chalmers said he is also considering standing for Labor leader.
“I’m talking to my colleagues about it. I don’t think it’s unreasonable that a few of us take some time to work out what we want to do,” Chalmers said on ABC’s Q&A on Monday night.
Shorten resigned following his surprise defeat in the weekend’s election.
Following news of the election result, Shorten said in an emotional speech: “All of us have a responsibility to respect the result, respect the wishes of the Australian people and to bring our nation together.
“Whilst I intend to continue as the member for Maribyrnong, I will not be a candidate in the next Labor leadership ballot.”
Paying tribute to former Labor PM Bob Hawke, who passed away earlier this week, Shorten added: “I wish we could have done it for Bob, but it was not to be.”