Businessmen Dick Smith is considering contesting the Liberal seat of Mackellar as an independent at the federal election.
Smith, 74, told on Sunrise on Thursday that he was “most likely” going to run.
“It’s most likely yes. I’m definitely considering it,” he told host Samantha Armytage. “Because I’m so angry about what’s happening in Canberra.”
His announcement comes after he slammed Canberra’s renewable energy target as a “lie” in a new video in which he impersonates Prime Minister Scott Morrison. Smith said the real cost of renewables is being hidden from the public.
In the video, he holds up a lump of coal with an Australian flag in the background, a reference to when then-Treasurer Morrison brought the fossil fuel into parliament last year.
“Hi it’s Scott Morrison your prime minister here, this is the lump of coal I showed in parliament a while ago,” he says at the start of the video. “I’ll be the first prime minister to publicise the real cost of renewables. I’m told it can be easily calculated, but now no one wants to seem to tell the truth.”
Smith, who does believe in climate change, wants a plebiscite on renewable energy in which people under the age of 30 are allowed to vote.
“I’m 50 years of age and it’s clear people that people my age and over are less likely to be affected by any changes in the climate,” he adds. “The plebiscite will ask the young people of Australia whether they accept the need to stop burning fossil fuels.”
The seat, located in Sydney’s Northern Beaches, is one of the safest Liberal Party seats in the country and is currently held by MP Jason Falinski. It had previously been held by Bronwyn Bishop. But Smith doesn’t expect to win.
“I don’t know. People stop me in the street all the time ‘Oh Dick, we wish you were in politics, Dick, we wish you were prime minister’, but I don’t believe that so because my policies up there on the Dick Smith Fair Go website, I want the world to be paying more tax,” he added on Sunrise. “Lots of wealthy on the North Shore here, they won’t be voting for me, so I really don’t believe I’ll get in.
“But I’m definitely considering it because I’m so angry about what’s happening in Canberra.”
He explained that standing would give him a platform and insisted he would tell the people the truth.
It comes after the Aussie entrepreneur launched a scathing attack on supermarket giant Aldi, claiming the company have no loyalty to Australia and is abandoning local farmers.
Sharing his opinion online via video sharing website Vimeo earlier this year, the 74-year-old slammed the German owned company for turning its back on Aussies.
“We all love low prices but not so low that more and more of our young people can never have a proper full time career or our famers are forced into bankruptcy,” he said. “Aldi started off buying here by I notice more and more they are abandoning our Australian farmers and producers.”