Peter Dutton has shared an update on his health after contracting coronavirus, confirming he’s feeling much better. The home affairs minister was admitted to the hospital after testing positive to Covid-19 on Friday.
Dutton told 2GB’s, Chris Smith on Saturday morning that he had received “excellent care” at the Royal Brisbane Hospital and felt “much better”.
“Fever has gone, temperatures are down,” Dutton said. “My throat was probably very mild to start with, so now probably a bit sore. I’ve had asthma since a child so I think they were a bit worried about that. [But] all pretty good at the moment and we’ll see how the next few days play out.”
Replying to a question on whether it was immediately clear to him that he had contracted coronavirus, Dutton said, “I was certainly conscious of the symptoms and when I woke up in the early hours on Friday morning with a fever, a sore throat and slight shortness of breath — I would say nothing more than I’d normally have with a slight change of weather as an asthmatic. That was my scenario and obviously, for a lot more people it can be more severe.”
— Peter Dutton (@PeterDutton_MP) March 14, 2020
The home affairs minister released a statement on Friday afternoon and confirmed that he had been admitted to hospital, but insisted that he “feels fine”.
“This morning I woke up with a temperature and sore throat,” Dutton said. “I immediately contacted the Queensland Department of Health and was subsequently tested for COVID-19.
“I was advised by Queensland Health this afternoon that the test had returned positive. It is the policy of Queensland Health that anyone who tests positive is to be admitted into hospitalised and I have complied with their advice.
“I feel fine and will provide an update in due course.”
— Peter Dutton (@PeterDutton_MP) March 13, 2020
Many people sent well wishes to the minister on social media, with one person writing: “Best of luck Peter, see you back on the Job soon.”
Another said: “Oh my God! Hope you recover soon!” While another wrote: “Wishing you speedy recovery. We cant afford to have you off work.”
The news comes after Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced that the government was advising that all public gatherings of 500 people or more across the country should be cancelled as of Monday, as the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 continues to rise across Australia and around the world.