Leaving children in cars unattended, even for a few minutes, can be fatal according to paramedics.
Three cars a week are broken into by paramedics to rescue children who have been locked inside, according to a report by NSW Ambulance.
The shocking figures were released earlier this week as part of a campaign to encourage parents to remain vigilant as the days get hotter and busier in the summer season.
In the past 12 months, 151 children have been rescued from locked cars across New South Wales, with some stuck inside the vehicle for as long as 40 minutes.
“The temperature in a hot car can go as high as 78 degrees,” NSW Ambulance said in a statement on Facebook. This year alone we’ve already rescued more than 150 children from locked cars. Please be vigilant this summer and never leave your kids in the car.
NSW Ambulance chief inspector Brian Parcell told The Daily Telegraph: “The consequences of inadvertently locking your child in the car or leaving your child in the car can be catastrophic and no parent would ever want a situation where their child is dragged unconscious from the vehicle.”
In Queensland, a RACQ spokesperson told 9 News that road authorities had been called out to a total of 1042 incidents around the state due to locked vehicles in the past six months. The call-outs included the rescue of 611 children — or an average of almost 102 incidents per month — and 431 trapped pets.
According to reports, the woman, 36, went shopping and left her two boys, aged five and eight, inside the car at a Liverpool carpark about 12.45pm on Saturday.
Police claim the vehicle was located in direct sunlight with passersby raising the alarm and notifying authorities. Officers were at the car when the mother returned and found the children were dehydrated.
The woman was reportedly charged with leaving a child/young person in motor vehicle, with a court date yet to be determined.
According to RACQ, even in mild weather the temperature inside a car can quickly rise above 40C, putting children at risk of heat stroke which can lead to a high fever, dehydration, seizures, stroke and death.