Mum wakes from 27-year coma after damaging brain while protecting son in crash

A woman has incredibly woken from a coma after almost 30 years. (Stock image). Source: Getty.

A mother has woken up from a 27-year coma after she was left with a serious brain injury following a car crash in which she heroically protected her son.

Munira Abdulla was left in a vegetative state in 1991 at the age of just 32 after the car she was riding in collided with a bus near Al Ain in the United Arab Emirates. She had been travelling home from her four-year-old son’s school at the time, after being driven there by her brother-in-law to pick him up.

According to UAE-based newspaper The National, she has been receiving rehabilitation in Germany recently and last year she began making sounds for the first time in nearly 30 years, after reportedly hearing her son Omar arguing in the room.

“I never gave up on her because I always had a feeling that one day she will wake up,” Omar, now 32, told the news outlet.

Just days after making her first sounds, Munira is said to have muttered her son’s name and can now recite prayers and hold conversations with her loved ones.

Omar told the news outlet the accident happened after his mother made the journey to pick him up from school, because there were no buses available to transport him.

“My mother was sitting with me in the back seat. When she saw the crash coming she hugged me to protect me from the blow,” he added, revealing he managed to escape with just a bruise because of his mum’s bravery.

Omar explained that, due to them not having mobile phones at the time, his mum was left injured for several hours while they waited to call an ambulance, before finally being rushed to hospital.

After doctors warned the family she was unlikely to ever wake up, Omar continued to visit her regularly – often reportedly walking several kilometres each time.

While Munira remained there for several years, the news outlet reports that their luck changed in 2017 when Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed, the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, offered them a grant for a new treatment program in Germany.

There she underwent surgery to treat her weakened limb muscles, while doctors worked to control her epilepsy, before she made her first sounds a year later.

“It was her! She was calling my name, I was flying with joy,” Omar said. “For years I have dreamt of this moment, and my name was the first word she said.”

A report from Mafraq Hospital last month reportedly stated that while she is able to communicate, she still needs regular physiotherapy.

What do you think of this story? Have you or anyone in your family experienced a medical breakthrough like this?

Join the community that will get you through the hard times ahead.

Starts at 60 is the community you need when Covid-19 is changing life as we know it. We stick together, help each other, share information and have a whole lot of fun online.

Join for interactive online events, expert advice, timely news, great deals and community conversation.

Leave your comment

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up