A worried Victorian mother has revealed her shock after spotting one of Australia’s most deadly creatures just centimetres from her twin daughters in a photo – despite being oblivious to the danger until it was almost too late.
Enjoying what they thought would be a nice family day out in the state’s northwest, Stacee Carter, her partner Jack and their toddler daughters were bushwalking on the banks of a billabong on Wednesday when they unknowingly found themselves shockingly close to a highly venomous brown snake.
Detailing the frightening moment online, the Mildura mother said they are incredibly lucky to still have their beloved children by their side after the reptile slithered between their legs. However, due to scattered brown leaves on the ground, it’s almost impossible to initially spot the snake in the photo.
While the family were thankfully left unscathed, Stacee later discovered she had captured just how quickly their eventful adventure could have turned disastrous.
Taking to Facebook to warn others of the dangers faced in nature, the mother shared the photograph which showed the snake less than a metre behind one of her precious children. It can be seen in the very bottom left of the snap.
“Be careful down the billabong in Mildura OR anywhere in general in the bush on this beautiful day!!! We were just having lunch and going on a nice adventure – I was just in my own world playing and taking photos,” Stacee explained.
“Luckily Jack was there (the calm one) and notified me which I just screamed and wanted to cry because this snake ended up between both the girls feet, luckily no one is hurt! BUT MY GOD.
“Makes me sick to my stomach, we are so thankful and blessed our babies are safe and home with us…we had a guardian angel or 2 looking after them today.”
It is no surprise Stacee was worried for the safety of her children as the brown snake is considered the world’s second most venomous land snake.
Found along the east coast of Australia, the creature can measure up to 2m in length with its bite in some cases leading to death, if not medically treated. Even though the snake is most commonly seen through the summer months, this is not the first time this winter Aussies have faced a frightening close encounter with the reptile.
Just last month a young girl had a close brush with death after being bitten by a brown snake while on holiday with her family in Western Australia.
The four-year-old girl was only saved thanks to her quick thinking parents, a dedicated team of medical professionals and volunteers, and the incredible use of technology.
In a remote area of the state, the family was connected with a doctor online, who watched the events proceed over a television screen, working together with the team on ground to keep the little girl alive.