Heartbroken grandad of missing boy, 2, says family are ‘preparing for the worst’

Share:
Ruben Scott went missing from a remote cattle station. Source: Facebook/Natasha Scott & Queensland Police.

The distraught grandfather of missing two-year-old Ruben Scott has spoken out about the family’s heartbreak claiming they are “preparing for the worst” as police reveal the likelihood of the toddler being alive is slim.

Appearing in front of cameras on Friday Noel Scott struggled to contain his emotions as he thanked authorities for their assistance in the search for his grandson Ruben who was last seen near the Koolatah Station homestead, on the western side of Cape York Peninsula, QLD, at around 5pm on Tuesday.

Wiping away tears, the grandad revealed the family were still holding onto hope that the search teams would locate the toddler but said they were prepared for a terrible outcome, as well as thanking police and those involved in the search for their efforts over the past three days.

“Preparing for the worst at the moment,” a heartbroken Noel said. “Hopefully we can find Ruben today.”

Sadly despite the efforts of the emergency services Cape Patrol Inspector Mark Henderson has informed the devastated family that the youngster is unlikely to have survived.

“It’s with regret last night I had to sit with the family and advise them that the survivability of their son and grandson has now passed,” he said in a video released by Queensland Police.

“It’s been a very hard task and we’ve given it our best but paediatric experts now tell us that survivability has passed.

“That won’t stop our efforts. We’ve had some 1,700 square kilometres, 450,000 square acres to search. We will continue to try and find young Ruben and bring closure for the family.”

He added: “I want to thank everyone that’s been involved. Thank everyone for their kind words. Thank you.”

Their devastating news follows comments from Ruben’s mum Natasha Scott earlier this week, who shared an update on Facebook, thanking her friends and family for support and urging them to stop messaging her for now, so she can focus on finding her son.

“As people way know my little Ruby has gone missing, I last seen (sic) him at 5:44 yesterday afternoon. I have every person that can help helping to find him,” she wrote.

“I understand all you guys are shocked and worried but please, try to hold back from messaging me. I’m trying to organise heaps of things to help find him and am trying to hold myself together. I thank and appreciate all you guys are doing for us, the shares help.”

According to The Mail OnlineWendy Scott – named as the boy’s grandmother – also shared a message on Facebook, writing: “We have to try and stay strong, love you so much xx.”

Have you been following this story?

Leave your comment

Retrieving conversation…