Australia has been hit with yet another egg recall with fears a particular brand may be contaminated with salmonella.
The NSW Food Authority issued an urgent warning to Aussies on Tuesday afternoon, as Steve’s Fresh Farm Eggs voluntarily recalled some of its products.
The eggs in question include Fresh Eggs from My Farm 12 Free Range Eggs 700g and Fresh Eggs From My Farm Cage Eggs 700g with a use by date of May 6, 2019.
These products were sold through butchers and independent stores primarily in western Sydney.
Any consumers who purchased the eggs have been advised to dispose of them immediately or return them to the place of purchase for a full refund.
This is the fourth time in a matter of weeks eggs have been recalled from parts of Australia due to contamination fears. Speaking about the issue on Tuesday, NSW Food Authority Chief Executive Officer Dr Lisa Szabo explained they are doing all they can to target the root cause of the problem.
She said they are working with the NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) to tackle the issue with increased surveillance and testing at poultry farms. The DPI has also issued biosecurity directions to individual properties, including the quarantine of premises to stop movement of eggs into the marketplace.
“All other eggs are safe to eat, provided people exercise the usual safe food handling precautions for eggs and other special care foods,” Szabo explained.
“Consumers can rest assured NSW has strong systems in place at all points along the food supply chain, from paddock to plate, to help reduce the risk of Salmonella from eggs.”
She added: “The recall of foods, in the event there is a food safety risk, is a normal and routine part of a business’ food safety system.”
To minimise food safety risks, people are urged to cook eggs thoroughly, meaning they are cooked until whites are completely firm and the yolk begins to thicken.
It’s also important to be aware of the symptoms of Salmonellosis including fever, headache, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting.
In most cases, symptoms will appear six to 72 hours after the contaminated food is eaten and can last up to seven days. In extreme cases, these symptoms can stick around longer. If anyone notices symptoms they are advised to contact a GP or health professional as soon as possible.