Music legend John Farnham has been forced to cancel a number of his upcoming shows due to an infection contracted following surgery late last year.
The 69-year-old confirmed he will not be performing in a series of shows that were scheduled throughout the country as part of his By The C tour.
In a post shared on social media the rock singer’s team informed fans of the sad news, claiming he needs more time to rest following surgery.
“We regret to announce that the forthcoming BY THE C Concerts with John Farnham, which were to be held at Queen Elizabeth Park, Coolangatta, on Saturday March 16; Leura Park Estate Geelong on Sunday March 17; Cottesloe Beach Perth on Sunday April 7; and Stuart Park, Wollongong on Sunday April 14th, have been cancelled,” the post read. “This is due to John’s recent illness from which he is still recovering. We wish John all the very best for a speedy recovery.”
Speaking to the Herald Sun on the announcement, Farnham’s manager Glenn Wheatley claimed the singer had been ordered by medical professionals to “take it easy”. He explained they had decided to cancel one show per weekend in order to give Farnham time to rest.
“John’s health is 100 per cent otherwise, there’s no other issues, we just have to make sure he’s ready to get back on the stage,” Wheatley told the publication. His manager also confirmed that Farnham felt terrible for cancelling the string of shows, noting he’d only done so a few times in the years they’ve worked together.
The ‘You’re The Voice’ singer’s team also explained in the post on Facebook that all tickets for the cancelled shows would be automatically refunded with plans to schedule more performances next summer. The singer will however, perform in all shows as part of the Red Hot Summer Tour which travels across the country throughout March and April.
Concerned fans also took to social media to wish Farnham well.
“Take care John. Please let us know how you are doing. Hope you are well soon,” one person wrote on Facebook.
Another comment added: “Oh darn, so sorry to hear the news, I hope John is okay.”
While a third said: “Take it easy John and please don’t rush back into it”.
Starts at 60 has contacted John Farnham’s management for comment.