If you prefer to eat your greens in a fun way that feels like you’re not, well, eating a serve of veggies, these yummy zucchini and bacon fritters are the perfect option for you! Kind of like a hash brown but without the guilt, they’re an excellent way to get in a serving of veggies without the blandness that usually comes with eating healthily.
The bacon adds a burst of flavour, and the garlic yoghurt is creamy and a little bit sour to give it a zesty and fresh flavour. They’d make an excellent lunch, dinner, or even serve them up for breakfast or brunch!
2 medium zucchini, grated
1 medium desiree potato, peeled, grated
4 Primo Bacon Shortcut Rindless rashers, trimmed, finely chopped
1/4 cup plain flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Vegetable oil, for frying
Extra chopped chives, to serve
1. Use a paper towel to squeeze the excess moisture from the grated zucchini.
2. In a large bowl, mix together zucchini, potato, bacon, flour, egg and chives, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. In a frying pan over a medium heat, heat enough oil for shallow frying. Add 1/4 cups of zucchini mixture to the pan and press with a spatula to flatten. Fry for 5 minutes, or until golden on the bottom then turn and repeat on the other side. Repeat with the remaining mixture, placing the cooked fritters on a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
4. To make the yoghurt, mix together yoghurt and garlic, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve fritters hot with yoghurt and extra chives.