If you want something refreshing for afternoon tea during the hot summer months, try this super tasty, zesty orange and poppyseed cake. Not only will this recipe satisfy your sweet cravings, but it also boasts an incredibly easy method that will take you no time at all to master.
This is a great last-minute dessert treat that goes perfectly with a side of cream or even a scoop of plain vanilla ice cream if you’re looking for a bit more sweetness. Why not whip it up when you have a spare afternoon to fill!
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind, plus extra to serve
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line base and sides of a 6cm-deep, 19cm square cake pan with baking paper.
- Place butter, orange rind, sugar, eggs, flour, poppyseeds and milk in large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Smooth top with back of spoon. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Remove from oven. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Top with extra orange rind. Serve.