You can’t beat the tasty combination of spinach and ricotta, and this super light and easy pie is the perfect treat for veggies everywhere. Not only is it a great option for those who are cutting down on meat-intake, but it’s also super cheap to make with just eight simple ingredients. Plus, with just 10 minutes preparation time, you don’t have to worry about being stuck in the kitchen all day.
The delicious mixture works perfectly as the creamy filling of this filo pie and while it’s best enjoyed fresh from the oven, don’t be afraid to pack it up and freeze it for another day. Enjoy!
- 2 bunches (about 260g) spinach, ends trimmed, washed
- 900g reduced-fat fresh ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh continental parsley
- Olive oil spray
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- Preheat oven to 180C. Place spinach, with water clinging, in large, shallow microwave-safe dish. Cover. Cook on High (100%) for 1-2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Set aside to cool. Squeeze out excess moisture. Finely chop spinach.
- Place ricotta in large bowl. Use potato masher to mash until almost smooth. Whisk eggs and egg whites together in a bowl. Add egg to ricotta. Add nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Stir in spinach and parsley.
- Grease round 20cm (base measurement) ovenproof dish with olive oil spray. Place filo sheets on clean work surface. Cover with dry tea towel, then damp tea towel to prevent filo from drying out. Spray 1 filo sheet with olive oil spray. Place filo, oil-side up, over base of dish, allowing overhang. Repeat with remaining filo, turning each filo sheet slightly to cover base and spraying with olive oil spray between layers.
- Spread spinach mixture over filo in dish. Fold over edges to enclose. Spray with olive oil spray. Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the filling is set. Serve.