Eating healthy doesn’t have to be expensive! If you’re looking for a tasty dish that’s still super cheap and won’t take too long – go no further than these tasty fish cakes. With just a handful of everyday ingredients that are probably already sitting somewhere in your pantry or fridge, this dish will easily become a crowd pleaser!
It works perfectly for those who are dining on a budget so don’t worry about spending a little bit more if you’re looking to add in extra ingredients like pumpkin or zucchini (both of which would work well in the mix). Serve these up with a side salad or some steamed veggies and enjoy!
- 1 medium (about 300g) orange sweet potato (kumara), peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 x 425g can tuna chunks in brine, drained
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 25g (1/4 cup) dried (packaged) breadcrumbs
- Salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cook sweet potato in large saucepan of salted boiling water for 7-8 minutes or until tender. Drain and hold under cold running water. Transfer to large bowl. Use potato masher or fork to mash sweet potato until coarsely mashed.
- Add tuna, egg and breadcrumbs, and stir until well combined. Season with pepper. Divide tuna mixture into 8 equal portions. Use wet hands to shape portions into 8cm patties.
- Heat oil in large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden brown. Remove from heat. Divide among serving plates and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.