You just can’t go wrong with this deliciously good dessert option! It’s tasty, easy to make and is guaranteed to satisfy absolutely any guest you serve it up to.
While this recipe calls for just enough icing to cover the top, if you want a more generous serving, don’t be afraid to double the ingredients and lather it over the cake! Even the grandkids will fall in love with this cake, so don’t waste anymore time and get to it!
- 175g light muscovado sugar
- 175ml sunflower oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 140g grated carrot (about 3 medium)
- 100g raisins
- grated zest of 1 large orange
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 175g icing sugar
- 1 1/2-2 tbsp orange juice
- Heat oven to 180C. Oil and line base and sides of 18cm square cake tin with baking paper. Tip muscovado sugar, sunflower oil and eggs into big mixing bowl. Lightly mix with wooden spoon. Stir in carrots, raisins and zest of 1 large orange.
- Sift self-raising flour, bicarbonate of soda, ground cinnamon and nutmeg into bowl. Mix everything together, until mixture is soft and almost runny.
- Pour into prepared tin. Bake for 40-45 mins or until it feels firm and springy when pressed it in centre. Cool in tin for 5 mins. Turn out, peel off paper and cool on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, beat icing sugar and orange juice in small bowl until smooth. Put cake on serving plate. Spread over top. Serve.