This recipe is so great for so many reasons. One of these is of course how easy it is to whip up, with just five simple ingredients and only 25 minutes cooking time. If you’re looking for a dish to throw together tonight, then this is it.
The other reason is because it’s so simple, this dish becomes a great starting point for more adventurous avenues. Add whatever you want into the mix and use trial and error to find out exactly what you like in your shepherd’s pie! Enjoy!
- 400g pkt mixed vegetables
- 500g lamb mince
- 500ml (2 cups) beef style liquid stock
- 700g sweet potato, peeled, chopped
- 120g soft goat’s cheese
- Spray a large ovenproof frying pan with oil. Place over medium-high heat. Add Veggie Mix and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the mince and cook, stirring and breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon, for 4 minutes or until browned.
- Add stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until liquid reduces and thickens slightly.
- Meanwhile, place the sweet potato in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add 80ml (1/3 cup) water. Cover with 2 layers of plastic wrap and cook on High for 7-8 minutes or until soft. Drain.
- Preheat grill on high. Mash sweet potato until smooth. Add two-thirds of goat’s cheese and mix well. Season. Spread the mash over the mince mixture. Crumble over the remaining goat’s cheese and lightly mix in with a fork. Sprinkle with pepper and spray with oil. Place under grill for 4-5 minutes or until bubbling and golden. Serve.