A slow-cooked casserole might be one of the best comfort foods in the world and this sausage and eggplant version will easily become your new favourite! With just a handful of ingredients and an incredibly straight forward method, this recipe will leave you wanting more.
And with the help of the trusty slow cooker this casserole couldn’t be easier. However, if you don’t have one available you can always pop everything in a saucepan and simply leave it simmering on low for a few hours. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 lean beef sausages
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 eggplant, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken style liquid stock
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Heat oil in large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add sausages and cook, turning occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until evenly browned. Remove to plate lined with paper towel.
- Add onion, garlic and eggplant to pan. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until eggplant is golden. Stir in chilli and tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Add stock and bring to the boil. Spoon eggplant mixture into slow cooker. Add sausages. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
- Stir in parsley. Season with pepper. Serve with steamed vegetables and crusty bread, if desired.