This Mediterranean-style dish is absolutely perfect for those evenings when you just don’t feel like doing anything but are still looking to enjoy a mouthwatering meal. With just a few quick and easy step – and the help of the trusty slow cooker – you can achieve this delicious dish with almost no effort at all.
The rich, flavourful sauce drizzled over the tender lamb shanks will have everyone who tries it asking you for the recipe! Serve it up with your choice of mashed potato, rice or pasta and you’re good to go!
- 4 large (about 1.5kg) lamb shanks, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 medium red capsicum, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, halved, thickly sliced
- 1 small (350g) eggplant, cut into 3cm dice
- 2 sticks celery, thickly sliced
- 2 x 440g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (125ml) red wine
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, shredded
- Salt, to season
- Place lamb and flour in bowl. Toss to coat. Heat oil in large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook lamb for 5 to 6 minutes, turning, until browned all over. Transfer to a bowl of slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, capsicum, zucchini, eggplant and celery to pan. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until vegetables just start to brown.
- Add to lamb. Top with chopped tomatoes. Pour over combined tomato paste, wine and stock. Turn slow cooker onto low, cover and cook, for 6-7 hours.
- To serve, stir in oregano and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.