Looking for a new and exciting flavour to try out in your next risotto dish? This fennel and lemon recipe is definitely the way to go!
With a creamy sauce mixed through perfectly-cooked risotto, the addictive flavours in this dish will leave you wanting more! Don’t forget to top it off with some shaved parmesan and a slice of bread to soak up every last drop and you’re good to go!
- 1 large fennel bulb, base trimmed
- 1 tbsp butter, plus a knob
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 140g risotto rice
- 175ml white wine
- 550ml hot vegetable stock
- zest 1 lemon
- 25g Parmesan
- Chop any green leafy fennel fronds and set aside. Cut off stalk-like fennel top, remove outer layers and finely chop both. Heat 1 tbsp butter in frying pan and cook onion, garlic and chopped fennel until soft but not coloured.
- Add rice and stir for 1 min. Pour over most of the wine and simmer until evaporated. Add 500ml of the hot stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring between each addition until it is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, slice remaining fennel and fry in knob of butter until browned. Add remaining stock and wine and cook until tender.
- When the rice is cooked, stir in the zest, Parmesan and some seasoning. Take off the heat and set aside, covered, for 2 mins. Serve in bowls, topped with the fennel fronds and cooked fennel, stirring the prawns through if using.