If there’s one creamy pasta dish that’s guaranteed to be a family winner, it’s a tasty carbonara. This classic meal has long been an easy go-to dish for nights when you’re just not sure what to cook or have limited time on your hands.
However, even though it’s quick and easy, the addition of cream usually makes this a bit of an unhealthy option. So, if you want to enjoy the same addictive flavour but would rather steer clear of the bad stuff, why not try this healthier version? The light recipe is completely cream-free which means the fat content is reduced and you won’t have to worry about going back for seconds!
- 400g spaghetti
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 150g rindless shortcut bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 eggs
- 50g parmesan cheese, finely grated, plus extra to serve
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Add pasta to large saucepan of boiling salted water. Follow packet directions and cook until just tender.
- Meanwhile, lightly spray frying pan with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Cook bacon and onion, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden.
- Drain pasta. Immediately return to hot saucepan. Add eggs to jug. Whisk well with fork. Pour into hot pasta. Stir quickly to coat.
- Add bacon mixture, parmesan, parsley, and salt and pepper to pasta. Toss over low heat to combine for 1 to 2 minutes, or until heated through. Top with extra parmesan. Serve immediately.