There’s nothing better than enjoying a deliciously comforting meal that is not only good for your body, but that takes barely any effort to get going! And this tasty beef and vegetable soup is just that, thanks to its cheap and easy ingredients list and a super straightforward method.
Thanks to the slow cooker, this dish really is as easy as setting and forgetting in the morning until the tender beef and vegetables are ready to be devoured later in the day! Pair it with a piece of crusty bread and enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 750g beef chuck steak, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small swede, peeled, chopped
- 4 cups beef style liquid stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 400g can borlotti beans, drained, rinsed crusty bread, to serve
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in batches, stirring, for 3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to bowl. Add onion to pan. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, carrot, celery and swede. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until combined and heated through.
- Transfer mixture to the bowl of 5 litre slow-cooker. Add beef, stock, tomato and thyme. Cover. Turn slow-cooker on low. Cook for 6 hours or until beef is tender.
- Stir in beans. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, covered, for 30 minutes or until beans are heated through. Serve with bread.