Healthy desserts can be just as tasty and satisfying as sugary options if you find the right recipe – and this low-fat carrot and date pudding is a guaranteed winner! With a super simple method and ingredient list, these puddings are easy to make and better still, they’re guilt-free.
They can be whipped up in under 40 minutes and are perfect for serving with a spoonful of creamy vanilla yoghurt to really set off all the sweet flavours. Unlike other desserts, this healthier option pulls the sweet flavour from fruits and natural vanilla essence, instead of refined sugars – so don’t waste any time giving them a go!
- 125g (1/2 cup) fresh dates, pitted, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 30g low-fat dairy spread
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- Preheat oven to 190C. Grease and line 4 x 200ml-capacity pudding moulds with baking paper. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine dates and 1/2 cup cold water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in bicarbonate of soda. Set aside to cool.
- Beat spread and sugar together with electric mixer until well combined. Add egg and vanilla essence. Beat well. Stir in carrot. Stir in date mixture.
- Sift flour over date mixture and stir gently to combine. Spoon into prepared moulds and place on a baking tray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes. Turn out onto serving plates. Serve.