When it comes to comfort food it’s hard to beat a hearty homemade fisherman’s pie. Made with golden puff pastry, fish and mixed vegetables of your choice – peas, cauliflower and carrot work great – this simple British dish will no doubt be a winner.
It’s absolutely perfect for entertaining guests alongside a dish of buttery mash potato or bringing along to a family get-together as it’s easy to make and an absolute crowd-pleaser. So next time you’re stuck for ideas on what to cook, don’t go past this mouthwatering meal!
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 brown onions
- 750g smoked cod
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 750ml (3 cups) milk
- 60g butter, chopped
- 300g (2 cups) mixed vegetables
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Preheat oven to 200C. Grease a 20cm pie dish.
- Place a sheet of pastry on a lightly floured surface and roll out to line base and side of pie dish.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. While hot, use a tea towel to carefully press down on the pastry to flatten.
- Halve one onion. Place in large saucepan with cod, cloves, bay leaf and milk.
- Place over medium-low heat and bring to a simmer. Cover. Remove from heat. Set aside for 10 minutes to poach. Gently break up the cod and use a slotted spoon to transfer mixture to prepared dish.
- Strain 500ml of milk mixture into a bowl. Discard remaining. Set aside to cool.
- Finely chop remaining onion. Melt 20g of the butter into a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and mixed vegetables. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer to dish.
- Melt remaining butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Slowly whisk in milk mixture, whisking constantly until smooth. Return to heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley. Season. Pour milk mixture over cod and veg.
- Roll remaining pastry out on a floured surface until slightly larger than top of dish. Place over top of pie, pressing edges to seal. Trim edges. Press with fork to seal again. Cut a small hole in centre. Brush with egg. Bake for 30 minutes.