Looking for something a bit different to serve up at morning or afternoon tea alongside your hot cuppa? Try this super tasty, zesty orange poppyseed cake. Not only does it taste super refreshing and sweet, but it’s also an incredibly easy method that will take you no time at all to bake.
This is a great last-minute dessert treat that goes perfectly with a side of cream or even a scoop of plain vanilla ice cream if you’re looking for a bit more sweetness. Whip it up when you have a spare afternoon to fill with easy baking!
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind, plus extra to serve
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line base and sides of a 6cm-deep, 19cm square cake pan with baking paper.
- Place butter, orange rind, sugar, eggs, flour, poppyseeds and milk in large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Smooth top with back of spoon. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Remove from oven. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Top with extra orange rind. Serve.