Trying to think of different, tasty and exciting recipes that don’t include any meat can sometimes seem difficult, but these cheesy vegetarian rolls are a delicious option all round – whether you’re a meat eater or not.
The fresh pastries are filled with a healthier mix of sweet potato, lentils, mushrooms, cheese and even a bit of Vegemite. They’re fantastic for bringing out at parties to cater to all dietary requirements or just having as a lighter treat for yourself to enjoy throughout the week. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons Vegemite
- Pinch dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 200g button mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 125g (1 cup) grated sweet potato
- 400g can brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 150g colby cheese, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, just thawed
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring often, for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, Vegemite and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Add mushroom. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until soft and liquid has evaporated. Add sweet potato. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until softened. Stir in lentils and thyme. Season. Transfer to large heatproof bowl. Set aside, stirring often, for 15 minutes to cool. Stir in cheese.
- Cut each pastry sheet in half. Place one quarter of sweet potato mixture in log shape along long edge of pastry. Brush opposite edge with egg. Roll tightly to enclose. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Cut each roll into 4 smaller rolls. Line, seam-side down, on prepared trays.
- Brush with egg and use knife to score lines into top of each roll. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.