If you’re looking for a nice and filling dinner to serve up to a few hungry guests, then you can’t go past this tasty beef ragu! With just a few quick and easy steps you can have this delicious meal ready to go with little to no effort at all!
With less than half an hour preparation time, just throw it all in the slow cooker and let it work its magic. Put your own touches on the dish where you like by adding some extra herbs and spices or serve it up as is and you definitely won’t be let down. Yum!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1kg beef chuck steak, cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 x 400g cans cherry tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Cooked fettuccine, to serve
- Grated parmesan, to serve
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, to serve
- Heat half the oil in large frying pan over high heat. Cook beef, in two batches, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to bowl of a 5.5-litre slow cooker.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Add onion, celery and carrot. Cook for 3 minutes or until just tender.
- Add wine, tomatoes with liquid from cans, stock, paste and thyme to pan. Bring to the boil. Carefully pour over beef. Stir to combine. Cover with lid.
- Cook on low for 6 hours (or on high for 4 hours) or until beef is very tender. Stir with wooden spoon to roughly shred beef. Toss ragu through fettuccine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with parmesan and parsley.