If you’re someone who prefers to eat on the go, give these super-tasty bars a try. They’re incredibly easy to make in bulk so you can enjoy them throughout the week without any fuss. It’s a great, lighter way to satisfy your sweet tooth without going too overboard. Unlike unhealthy and expensive store-bought bars, by making these in your own home, you can control how much sugar and chocolate you add to it so you know exactly what you’re putting in your body. They’re even fantastic for wrapping up and giving to friends as little gifts as there’s nothing better than a delicious, homemade present to give to the ones you love!
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 cup plain self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup traditional rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 10 fresh medjool dates, pitted, chopped
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line base and sides of a 20cm x 30cm lamington pan with baking paper, leaving about 3cm of overhang on long sides.
- Add butter, sugars and vanilla to a medium bowl. Use electric mixer to beat together until pale and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until just combined.
- Next, stir in flours, oats and milk. Followed by dates and 1/3 cup chocolate chips until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Smooth over top. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 25 minutes or until firm to touch and golden brown. Cool completely in pan. Slice into bars. Serve.