There’s nothing better than a comforting dinner that is not only incredibly easy to whip up but also tastes absolutely delicious. In just a few easy steps, you can serve up this tasty meal to family and friends or simply enjoy it on your own.
And with a creamy chicken filling that is also stocked full of spinach, this lighter lasagne could be a better option for those who need something that’s a bit easier on the stomach. Enjoy!
- 3 bunches English spinach, washed, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 x 200g punnet button swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 500g chicken mince
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 250ml (1 cup) pouring cream
- 8-9 dried lasagne sheets
- Finely chopped fresh continental parsley, to sprinkle
- 50g butter
- 40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
- 500ml (2 cups) milk
- 250g cream cheese, chopped
- 150g (1 1/2 cups) coarsely grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Grease 3L (12 cup) 5cm-deep, 20 x 30cm baking dish. Heat large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add spinach and cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes or until wilted. Transfer to colander and press down with wooden spoon to remove excess water. Set aside.
- Wipe frying pan clean. Heat oil in pan over high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Add mushroom and cook, stirring often, for 6-7 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Add chicken mince to frying pan. Cook, using a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, for 5 minutes or until cooked. Stir in flour for 1 minute. Add cream and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Stir in the mushroom mixture and the spinach. Season to taste and set aside.
- Meanwhile for the sauce, heat butter in saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until the mixture bubbles. Slowly stir in the milk. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the mixture comes to the boil and thickens. Add cream cheese, a few pieces at a time, stirring well after each addition, until melted. Stir in 100g (1 cup) mozzarella until smooth. Season and set aside.
- Spread one-third of the chicken mixture evenly over the base of the prepared dish. Pour over 125ml (1/2 cup) of the cheese sauce, spreading it evenly over the chicken. Cover with a layer of pasta sheets, breaking to fit. Repeat with two more layers, finishing with a layer of pasta sheets. Top with the remaining cheese sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining 50g (1/2 cup) mozzarella. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden and the sauce is bubbling. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly before serving.