This healthy and comforting dish is packed full of good ingredients to fill you up and leave you feeling a million bucks. With a tasty spice blend mixed through the carrot and lentil mixture, this creamy soup is guaranteed to give you a kick and warm you up on a chilly day or night.
Not only is it super low in fat but it’s also a great source of iron. You can whip this up in under thirty minutes and it’s completely meat-free which makes it perfect for serving up to big crowds or any vegetarian guests you might be having over. Don’t forget to pair it next to some dipping bread to make sure you soak up every last drop of this tasty soup!
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600g carrots, washed and coarsely grated (no need to peel)
- 140g split red lentils
- 1l hot vegetable stock (from a cube is fine)
- 125ml milk
- Plain yogurt, to serve
- Heat large saucepan. Dry-fry 2 tsp cumin seeds and a pinch of chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan and become aromatic. Scoop out half and set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil, 600g coarsely grated carrots, 140g split red lentils, 1l hot vegetable stock and 125ml milk to pan. Bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until lentils have swollen and softened.
- Whizz soup with handheld stick blender until smooth.
- Season to taste. Top with dollop of plain yogurt and sprinkling of reserved toasted spices. Serve.