These Aussie classics have definitely stood the test of time, and you’ll be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn’t enjoy a good jam drop. So if you’re looking to impress a group of people, why not try making these tasty treats at home!
With just seven ingredients, there’s nothing difficult about this tasty biscuit so even baking beginners can perfect it. And if you’re looking for some variety, you can use different flavoured jams to keep everyone on their toes. Enjoy!
- 125g salted butter, softened
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 190g (1 1/4 cups) self-raising flour
- Plain flour, to dust
- 115g (1/3 cup) strawberry or raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Use an electric beater to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a medium bowl until pale and creamy. Add the egg and beat until combined. Sift flour over the butter mixture and stir until combined.
- Use lightly floured hands to roll teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls. Place on the prepared trays, about 5cm apart. Use a lightly floured finger to make an indentation in the centre of each ball. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of jam into the centre of each biscuit.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, swapping trays halfway through cooking, or until the biscuits are cooked through and light golden. Remove biscuits from the oven. Set aside on trays for 30 minutes to cool completely.