You can’t beat a good old hearty dish on those cooler evenings and rainy days, and this delicious chowder ticks all the boxes. The incredible dish not only tastes great but it works perfectly for those cooking on a budget – especially when you make it in bulk and freeze some extra meals. The ingredient list is super simple and you’ll likely already have most things stashed away in your fridge or pantry. Don’t forget to toast some bread in the oven so you can serve it up together to make a deliciously filling main meal!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 brown onions, chopped
- 250g bacon, rind removed, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken style liquid stock
- 1kg frozen corn kernels
- 500g unpeeled Desiree potatoes, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons lemon thyme leaves
- Heat butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and bacon for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in flour and cook, while stirring, for 1 minute. Combine milk and stock in bowl. Slowly pour into bacon mixture, stirring until well combined.
- Bring mixture to the boil while stirring occasionally. Add corn, potatoes, thyme, and salt and pepper. Return to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened and heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.