This classic soup has long been a family favourite comfort food thanks to the refreshing and warm feeling it gives you after just one serving. It’s the perfect dish for a rainy evening or even just for those nights when you’re not feeling 100 per cent.
With just a handful of easy ingredients and a method that absolutely everyone should be able to perfect, this recipe will easily become your new go-to. Serve up this chicken and sweet corn soup with a side of crusty bread and you’re good to go!
- 1L (4 cups) chicken consomme
- 2 (about 200g each) single chicken breast fillets
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water
- 1 x 420g can creamed corn
- 1 x 300g can corn kernels, rinsed, drained
- 100g shaved ham, thinly sliced
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 6 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place consomme and chicken in large saucepan and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to heatproof bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Finely shred.
- Add soy sauce and ginger to consomme mixture. Place cornflour in small bowl and gradually stir in water until smooth and combined. Gradually stir cornflour mixture into consomme mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until consomme thickens slightly. Add chicken, creamed corn, corn and ham and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until hot.
- Use fork to whisk egg whites in small bowl. Gradually pour egg whites into soup, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Cook for 2 minutes or until white ribbons swirl though soup. Remove from heat.
- Add sesame oil and half the green shallot and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup among serving bowls and sprinkle with the remaining green shallot. Serve immediately.