If you’re looking for something with a vibrant, delicious flavour to enjoy as a light snack in between meals, then these mini-quiches are a guaranteed winner. The recipe puts a twist on the everyday treat by using crunchy filo pastry as the case rather than the normal puff pastry option, while it’s filled with a mouth-watering combination of bacon, onion, cheese and mushrooms.
These are fantastic for cooking in bulk and serving up to a large group of people or for freezing and enjoying in batches whenever you feel like them. Snacks between meals are super important to keep hunger at bay, so next time you reach for a small treat, why not try something new!
- Olive oil spray
- 250g bacon pieces
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 200g button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 12 sheets filo pastry
- 120g tasty cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 4 eggs
- 185ml (3/4 cup) pouring cream
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease patty tins with spray. Heat large non-stick frying pan over medium heat and spray with oil. Cook bacon and onion, stirring for 3-4 minutes or until golden. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring for 4-5 minutes or until soft and golden. Remove from heat, cool.
- Lay filo sheet on flat surface. Spray with oil. Place second layer of filo on top. Repeat until there are six layers. Use remaining six sheets to form second stack. Cut each stack into 12. Line patty tins with squares of filo pastry.
- Use half the cheese and place a small amount into each pastry case. Add chives to bacon mixture. Divide evenly between the pastry cases. Whisk eggs and milk in a large jug, season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture evenly between pastry cases. Scatter over remaining cheese. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and crisp. Serve.