You don’t have to break your budget in order to achieve a delicious dinner that your family and friends will all fall in love with. In fact this low-cost and low-maintenance chicken and mushroom risotto will be one of the most affordable dinners you’ll try all week!
This recipe includes under ten ingredients and has a recipe that is perfect for improving the skills of novice cooks. It’s a simple way to challenge yourself in the kitchen without taking too many risks, plus it is guaranteed to taste delicious no matter what! Enjoy!
- 60g butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 250g pack chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 300g risotto rice
- 1 1/2L hot chicken stock
- 200g cooked chicken, chopped into chunks
- 50g grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- small pack parsley, finely chopped
- Heat butter in large pan over gentle heat and add onion. Cook for 10 mins until softened. Stir in thyme leaves and mushrooms. Cook for 5 mins, sprinkle in rice and stir to coat in the mixture.
- Ladle in a quarter of stock and continue cooking, stirring occasionally and topping up with more stock as it absorbs (you might not use all the stock).
- When most of the stock has been absorbed and rice is nearly cooked, add chicken and stir to warm through. Season well and stir in the parmesan and parsley. Serve scattered with extra parmesan.