Had a tough day and dreading hanging around in the kitchen for hours while you whip up an elaborate dinner? If that sounds familiar, why not give this delicious and super-quick beef stir fry a go and enjoy the mouthwatering flavours without all of the effort!
This is a great recipe to have on hand if you’re looking to spend less than thirty minutes cooking before sitting down to enjoy a satisfying and flavourful dinner. And, although this particular recipe calls for rice noodles, you can substitute for egg or ramen noodles if you’re looking for something a bit different.
- 300g beef rump steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 150g rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 lemongrass stem (white part only), thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 6 shallots (spring onions), sliced on the diagonal
- 1 leek, cut into thin strips
- 1 carrot, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 3 tablespoons shaohsing rice wine
- 1/4 cup (60ml) beef stock or water
- Place steak, spice and cornflour in bowl and toss well. Soak noodles in bowl of boiling water for 2 minutes, drain well, then set aside.
- Place a wok over high heat and add half peanut oil. Once smoking, add steak and stir-fry quickly for 1 minute. Remove.
- Add remaining oil, then stir-fry the lemongrass, garlic, ginger, shallots, leek and carrot for 1 minute. Add tamari, rice wine, stock, noodles and beef. Keep tossing together over high heat for a further 1-2 minutes or until cooked through and well combined.
- Divide between plates and serve.