If, like most people with a sweet-tooth, you are a fan of the traditional caramel slice recipe, but are looking for something a bit easier to whip up, give this delicious version a red hot go! The perfect mix of banana bread, caramel and chocolate somehow works wonders together and gives the original recipe a run for its money. This no-bake dish will easily become your go-to sweet treat for packed lunches or snacks on the go as it’s super-easy to make thanks to the simple method and ingredient list, and it can be made in bulk and left in the fridge for up to a week!
- 2 (500g each) packet banana & walnut bread slices
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 395g can condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 180g butter
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- Grease and line base and sides of a 20x30cm (base measurement) with baking paper. Trim banana bread slices to fit in pan. Pack into base to cover completely with no gaps.
- Combine sugar, golden syrup, condensed milk, vanilla and 150g of the butter in heavy-based saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring, for 15-20 minutes or until mixture thickens and turns golden caramel.
- Remove from heat. Set aside to cool, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes. Pour over banana bread base. Smoothen out with spatula. Set aside to cool completely.
- Place chocolate and remaining butter in heatproof bowl. Microwave on High for 45 seconds to 1 minute or until melted and smooth, stir out lumps. Spread evenly over caramel. Chill in fridge for 15-20 minutes to set. Remove from pan and cut into squares. Serve.