A Queensland woman has been left horrified after she claims parts of a dead spider were found inside a chicken thigh fillet she bought from Coles.
Fiona McKinnon shared a photo of the “disgusting” find to the supermarket chain’s public Facebook page, saying she bought the product from Coles Browns Plains, south of Brisbane, last Thursday.
After baking the chicken in the oven, the woman said her son found the critter “tucked” underneath one of the fillets. In the image parts of a dead spider can be seen spread out on the table.
“While we were eating, my son found part of a spider tucked in on the underside of one of his fillet,” she wrote. “It must have been tucked in there good as I did not notice it at all during the cooking process!
“Sure enough to say, my boy was put off his meal completely and I will be inspecting every piece of meat I buy from now on! Absolutely disgusting!”
A Coles spokesperson confirmed to Starts at 60 the supermarket has been in contact with the customer.
“Coles takes the quality of all our products seriously and has spoken to the customer to follow up their complaint,” the spokesperson said. “As always we encourage customers to return any item they’re not 100 per cent happy with to their nearest store for a full refund or replacement.”
If the post is anything to go by, it’s quite common for creepy crawlers to be found in unusual hiding spots. Earlier this month, a Sydney woman found a deadly redback spider crawling around in a bunch of green grapes she purchased from Aldi.
The redback spider is a highly venomous spider found throughout Australia. Only female redbacks are dangerous and their bite can cause serious illness, and even death in extreme cases.
Yolande Gamble shared a photo of the scary find on Facebook, writing: “Had a bit of an incident with a spider today, it was in my grapes. As I opened them there he was on the bottom of the grapes.”
In the image a small spider with a red stripe down it’s back can be see sitting among the grapes. The post attracted a slew of comments from people who were frightened by the discovery.
“Wow the things you find in your shopping. Glad you didn’t get bitten,” one commentator wrote.
Another added: “Wow that’s nasty.” While a third wrote: “OMG. That’s awful!!”