This delicious tart is made up of crispy puff pastry and a cheesy filling. The dish uses fresh tomatoes, zesty lemon, and smooth ricotta.
This dish is the perfect comfort food and goes well with fresh summer salads. Its amazing flavour is sure to have you going back for seconds.
With the summer season in full swing, this tart is the perfect picnic companion or a tasty light dinner on those stifling hot nights.
It’s great on its own or with a fresh garden salad on the side.
Ad. Article continues below.
- 1 1/2 sheets frozen puff pastry, partially thawed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh continental parsley leaves
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 60g (1/3 cup) pitted Sicilian olives
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 125g (1/2 cup) fresh ricotta
- 350g tomato medley mix, large ones halved
- Herbs to serve
- I cup of cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°C/220°C fan forced.
- Line large baking tray with baking paper.
- Join pastry sheets together to form a 24cm x 36cm rectangle, trimming where necessary.
- Place on prepared tray.
- Using a small sharp knife, score 1cm boarder around edge of pastry, be careful to not cut all the way through.
- Prick all over centre of pastry with fork.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
- With a clean tea towel, gently press the middle of the pastry to flatten.
- Process the basil, parsley, lemon rind and garlic until they are of a fine consistency.
- Add olives, lemon juice and oil to the mixture and process combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spead the processed mixture over the base with a 2cm border at the top.
- add a layer of ricottas cheese, then a layer of cheese and top with the chopped tomatoes of your choice.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.
Cut a slice and serve with a fresh garden salad.